A typical day in the life @BeaconBarkersPetCentre
Firstly we live on-site at the Kennels, our whole family is hands-on with the dogs, and we have a team of 10 staff who are ready to start early in the morning, opening up the hatches each day at 8 am.
Dogs have free access all day to either rest in the kennel or go out in the run. We end the day by going to bed with a biscuit and a cuddle in the evening.
Breakfast at 9 am
During the morning – A play and romp in one of the three large grass paddocks.
Tea between 3 and 4 pm
Chill in the evening before bed, there are three heaters in each block used at no extra cost, all dogs are therefore kept nice and warm.
All the staff regularly pass through the kennels to speak to each dog, check their water and clean up in the runs… (Caz even takes the personal challenge of learning each dog’s names).
The paddocks are secure with 6-foot fencing, and the dogs aren’t left alone in there but are supervised by a member of staff, who cleans up straight away so the area stays clean. There are plenty of toys to entertain the dogs and the staff play with them so they have plenty of exercise.
If you feel you would like to go out for more than one exercise a day this can be arranged.
All dogs get one good exercise included in the boarding fee.
ONE extra ‘out’ is charged at £5-00 per kennel, and TWO extra ‘outs’ would cost £7-00 in total.
These can be arranged daily, weekly or however, you wish, please discuss with us when booking or bringing your dog in.
All the dogs get plenty of attention during the day.
We provide a variety of foods or can feed your own if you choose.
If you bring your own please label it and portion it so that we know that we are feeding what you normally do.
Obviously leaving your dog behind is a big ask and responsibility… Here are some Q&A’s to give you some comfort about your dog stay:
If you visit other kennels when making your boarding decision, please ensure you consider the below questions
- Do you have CCTV?
- Yes, we have CCTV covering most areas onsite.
- How secure are the paddocks?
- Each paddock is secure with six-foot fencing, when a dog is exercising, our team plays with your dog whilst they are outside.
- Do the hatches come down at night- are they on a pulley?
- Yes, hatches come down at night, keeping the kennel nice and warm
- Are all the hatches large enough for your dog to fit through?
- Yes, during the day the hatch will be lifted allowing your dog to move between the kennel and the run
- What type of heating is there- if under the floor, how much of the floor is heated (it may be only an A4 square in the corner!)
- Our entire blocks are heated and bedding is checked twice daily and changed as often as required.
- How many kennels are there?
- Each block has 8 kennels with the Pink block having 12
- How many staff are there?
- Our team is made up of 10 staff working shifts to ensure enough care is onsite at all times.
- How many times will my dog go out?
- Included in the price is one session of exercise, which is normally between 9 & 11.30, we offer extra exercise in the morning and afternoon if you wish.
- How long is a walk?
- Dogs are initially let out to go to the toilet in one of the paddocks, they then have around 15-20 minutes of playtime.
- Do you have vacancies? If so why?
- We have no vacancies at Beacon Barkers and pride ourselves on looking after our staff.
- Are the kennels opposite each other? This can intimidate a nervous dog.
- In our three main blocks, the kennels are side by side, in the Pink block the kennels are opposite, we are very careful who we put where ensuring the dog is safe and well.
- Do you have an isolation unit for a sick dog to go to? Is it a distance from the kennel block?
- Our isolation unit is separate from the main kennels and close to our house where we can keep a close eye on the well-being of the dog.
- Is there plenty of natural light in the kennels?
- Yes, we open all blinds in the morning and let natural light in, leaving the stable doors open when the weather permits allowing a natural breeze through the kennels.
- Are the runs covered?
- Yes, all runs here at Beacon Barkers Pet Centre are covered